Saturday, December 12, 2009

The way they look will prevent other people from eating them (No Bake Cookies)

This weekend is the last of the semester, and it's going to be hectic. I have papers coming out my ears, and E is immersing himself in studying for the last of his law school exams this week. I predict a weekend full of takeout and not much in the way of speaking to each other. The other night, though, I made some no-bake cookies as a quick little treat, and they were so easy and delicious I figured I'd share the love.


Unfortunately, that is exactly what they look like. I know. But they are delicious!! That photo and the recipe are from here.

No-Bake Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Oatmeal Cookies
Yield: 2 to 3 dozen, depending on how large you make them


½ cup (1 stick) butter
2 cups granulated sugar
½ cup milk
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
½ cup peanut butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups quick-cooking oats


1. Add the first four ingredients (through the cocoa powder) to a 4-quart saucepan.
2. Bring to a rolling boil and let boil for 1 minute.
3. Remove from heat.
4. Stir in the peanut butter and vanilla until smooth, then stir in the oats.
5. Drop by heaping tablespoons onto wax paper-lined baking sheets.
6. Let cool until set. (It took about 30 minutes for mine to cool -GF)

They are sweet and melty, and the oatmeal makes them pretty substantial. Also, they're rich enough that even I, the chocolate queen, can only eat 1 or 2 before I am done for the day. And just a note, they don't change once you put them on the wax paper, so you probably want to flatten them out and make them look more like cookies than... well, you know. Or maybe you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment